Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Second Trimester Necessities: A Few Of My Favorite Things

I am halfway through my second trimester and feeling pretty much like a superhero (well, in comparison to my first trimester anyway!) However, while I feel good and have my energy back, my body is changing much more rapidly now and I am starting to feel (and look) pregnant. I said farewell to my waist a few weeks ago and am wearing almost all maternity clothes now. Funny, most of my maternity clothes are way cooler than my regular clothes, the benefit of hand-me-downs from a friend who works at a fashion magazine! In addition to the maternity clothes, I’ve started to dig into some of my other maternity supplies from pregnancy #1.

Here are some things I consider Second Trimester Necessities:

(Ok a few of these are duplicates from the 1st trimester list since I didn’t start using them till 2nd trimester this time round)

Tums (Smoothies)
Mylanta/Maalox
Gas X


Heartburn and gas are some of the awesome side effects of pregnancy. If you’ve never had heartburn before you might think you’re having a heart attack the first time it hits you bad. I actually landed in the hospital on my 30th birthday because I had an elevated EKG. Turned out it was acid reflux (causing some major heartburn) and asthma. Mortifying, I know. So I know how awful heartburn can be. In regards to gas…I don’t have to explain what that one feels like, right?

I prefer the Tums Smoothies to the regular Tums, they seem to work better for me and they are a lot less chalky than the regular Tums. You might want to have Mylanta or
Maalox on hand if the Tums don’t cut it. While these are approved by most doctors, please talk to your doctor first before taking anything.

Preparation H

No chance this should be considered a “favorite” thing…but for some of you it’s going to be a necessity, as is a little inflatable ring to sit on (sorry, just being honest). Say it with me ladies, hem-or-rhoids. Many women don’t experience these until pregnancy and might freak out when they first discover they have them. I have one friend who was so freaked out when she discovered these little (or not so little) guys that she called her husband at work crying to tell him something was wrong. Being the not-so–delicate-yet-sweet husband he is, he first laughed at her, then told her what it was and said he’d pick up some Preparation H on the way home. It’s very common and can be very, very painful. However, there is little you can do to prevent them. Good news is they usually go away postpartum.


Palmer’s Cocoa Butter/Mambino Organics/Mama Mio

I included this in the first trimester list but you probably didn’t need it yet. If you want to keep your skin supple and prevent stretch marks, I definitely recommend using one of these. I use Palmer’s Cocoa Butter because I know it works (used it last pregnancy) and because I’m cheap. If you want to splurge a little go for Mama Mio Stretch Mark Cream or Mambino Organics Belly Butter.

Maternity Bras

So by this point the bra extenders might not be cutting it anymore. I am still able to wear a few of my regular bras, but have recently dug out my maternity/nursing bras. This might sound a tad strange, but one thing you might consider when the girls start to get unruly is wearing a maternity bra or tank top to bed at night. I know, it sounds weird, but they are going to start to get in your way and well, they’re only gonna get bigger. Believe me, your back will thank you. I love the Medela Sleep Nursing Bra. It’s really thin and isn’t the most supportive thing, but it is extremely comfortable. I got so used to wearing it that it was difficult to stop wearing it even after Sophie quit nursing at nine month. If I didn’t wear a sleep bra I wore a Gillian & O’Malley nursing tank top.

In terms of other Maternity bras, I’d recommend buying all nursing bras, rather then buying bras for your pregnancy and bras for nursing, but that is a personal preference. Some women get substantially larger when they nurse. I didn’t so I had a few of the highly rated Medela nursing bras (sleeping and seamless soft cup) and a few of the cheap target Gillian & O’Malley nursing bras. Other bras recommended by my friends include: Bravado, Glamourmom, Bella Materna, and Belabumbum. I recommend getting fitted at a maternity store or by a nursing consultant.

The Snoogle

No, not the snuggie -- the Snoogle. And yes, it’s a big ass body pillow. I love my Snoogle. Until recently my daughter was using it as a seat and she loved to play in it. I actually had to get her another chair so I could start using it again. You basically hug the thing and wrap it around yourself based on how you sleep and what is aching any given night. It’s supportive and cozy, sort of like your husband (only it doesn’t make fun of the fact that you’re sleeping with a big ass pillow.) If you can’t get comfortable at night or your belly, back, and/or knees need support, I definitely recommend getting one. Available on-line or at BRU, BBB or most baby stores.


Belly Support Band

Ok I didn’t need this but if your back is in bad shape, you might want to consider.

Mama Spanx

I will not confirm nor deny resorting to these during my first pregnancy. All I’m saying is that if you have to dress up for work and need your bum, belly, and muffiny goodness to fit into that suit, dress, etc…get one.


Peppermint Foot Lotion

One of my friends couldn’t live without the stuff. I have it and know I used it, but wasn’t an addict. But nothing beats it for sore, swollen feet. It feels tingly and wonderful and smells delish. I like the Body Shop’s cooling peppermint foot lotion, but Burts’s Bees, Booths, and Bath & Body Works also have good ones.

Body Cream

Most women experience some itching as their belly grows and their skin stretches. Some women (like my one girlfriend) get really, really itchy all over. Here are some creams that I’ve used or have been recommended to me: Eucerin/Aquaphor, Bliss Naked Body Butter, Gold Bond Healing Skin Therapy.


Other things to consider Second trimester

Dentist Appointment

Haven’t had a check up in a while? Probably time to get your teeth cleaned. While dentist’s can/will only fill a prego woman’s cavities in an extreme situation, the cleaning will do wonders and will help prevent gum disease. A leading cause of pre-term labor.

Dermatologist Appointment

Not to scare you, but your skin is changing as rapidly as your body. Do a body scan at home and look for new moles/growths. Skin cancers grow fast on some women during pregnancy. I’ve had basal cell and am covered in little sun freckles and moles. The result of way too many sunburns as a kid. I had more than a dozen removed before my first pregnancy, but have seen more pop up. If you see any changes, you should probably make a dermatologist appointment.


Increase your H2O intake

I don’t care if you think you’re peeing all the time…drink more water. I went into pre-term labor b/c of a UTI caused by lack of water intake.


If you are interested in buying any of these products on-line, I've compiled them all in the EITB's Recommended Products Store! http://astore.amazon.com/expect-20

No comments:

Post a Comment